USS Marvin Shields FF-1066
Where Snipes and Twidgets are Welcome


        OI Division OE Division OC Division OX Division ON Division
     First Division fox Division Fox2 Division
    A Division B Division E Division M Division R Division
Supply Division
Officer Division
Marvin Shields Ship Pictures Cruise Books Veteran Info

Veteran Notices and Events

Locate Discharge Papers, Service Records, Free Medals, People/Info

The National Personnel Records Center is where to send for a copy of your DD214 military discharge papers or a copy of your service records (see below for Medals info).

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100

Note: A 1973 fire destroyed 16-18 million Military Personnel Files.

Phone information lines:

  • 314-538-4261
    Army, 1960-present
    Reconstruction of destroyed files:
    Army 1912-59
    Air Force 1947-63 (names after Hubbard, James D.)

  • 314-538-4243
    Air Force, 1964-present, 1947-63 (A through Hubbard, James D.)

  • 314-538-4141
    Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard

  • 314-538-4175
    Fax all branches

If you have questions about your military records or your military service, send your full name, social security number, all previous service numbers, branch of service, dates of service, date and place of birth, and dated written consent (signature) or fill out and submit Standard Form 180.

If the veteran is deceased or mentally incompetent, the release may be signed by their adult next of kin or legal guardian (include a copy of the court appointment).

For a copy of your Medals earned or one free replacement set of your Medals, send your request (handwritten, signed, and dated as above or Standard Form 180) to the appropriate address found here:

Requesting Military Medals and Awards

Or write to:

Chief Military Awards Branch
Military Personnel Branch
Hoffman Building #2
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, VA 22332

The following office can identify awards earned by Navy units and provide a DD215 (correction to DD214) if necessary:

Chief of Naval Operations
Awards and Special Projects Branch (Code N09B33)
2000 Navy Pentagon
Washington, D.C. 20350-2000

Suggestions for locating people or info:

Request a copy of their service record. Learn their branch of service, time of service, duty stations. Try finding a reunion group for their unit(s). The VA will forward a letter if the person is receiving care somewhere in the VA system. The National Personnel Records Center use to forward a letter to a servicemember's last known address, however, I heard they no longer do that. Post a short request for help in every Web site Guest Book you visit.

Use Internet Search Engines to help locate info and reunion groups. I like Google for specific info, AltaVista for a more general search, and AnyWho for telephone/address/map lookups:

VFW National lists reunions in their monthly magazine which can be viewed online. Tin Can Sailors lists destroyer related ship reunions.

Links to more helpful information:

Applying for Medals, Awards, and Unit Roster Information
FAQ Regarding Military Records Requests
National Archives and Records Administration
Send for Basic Records (personnel, mortuary, morning reports, burial)
Sons and Daughters In Touch FAQ

Medal and Ribbon Links

Veteran Burial Benefits
Burial Locations
VA Benefits Info and Claims Assistance: 1-800-827-1000
VFW Help Line: 1-800-VFW-1899

* * *